Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I Don't Do Diet

I love lemon cake. Love it. Especially the one that they sell at Starbucks. There is just something about the mixture of tangy and sweet and moist that sends my taste buds a-whirlin’. 

Lemon_Loaf_Cake[1][1]
Today at work, one of the pharmaceutical reps brought a whole spread of breakfast food for the staff/surgeons in an effort to bribe them to use their product (a fairly common occurrence when you work in a hospital). There were bagels and cream cheese, donuts, fruit and yogurt parfaits, pastries……..and lemon cake!!

Once spotted, I made a beeline to the tasty goodness, and promptly (and quite piggishly) piled three slices onto my plate. Feeling exhilarated, I sat down to consume the spoils of my gluttony. I took a bite, began to chew, and then….wha….what…what is this? What in hell’s bells did I just put into my mouth? It looked like lemon cake. It smelled like lemon cake. It even had the proper consistency. And yet, this was NO lemon cake. No sir. What I had just put into my mouth was so nasty, I was sure that that was what evil had to taste like.

I spat out the revolting intruder, and walked over to examine the container from whence it came. It was lemon cake alright – sugar-free lemon cake, made with Splenda.

Are you kidding me?

Who? Who would do that? Who would dare to take perfectly good lemon cake, something so pure and delectable, and corrupt it with, of all things, Splenda? What a waste!! Am I the only one here who sees something wrong with this picture?
 414820155_bdcee25f6e[1]
Needless to say, I did not finish the rest of my wanna-be lemon cake. In fact, I had to eat a blueberry muffin just to get the bitter taste out of my mouth. It still makes me gag just thinking about it.

There are very few (in fact, almost zero) low-fat/low-calorie/sugar-free foods in life that I have found actually taste good enough to make them worth sacrificing the extra calories. And lemon cake is definitely not one of them. Perish the thought.

Lemon_Icky.115200420_std[1]
All I have to say is, if I ever happen to encounter the inventor of Splenda in a dark alleyway, he had better be watching his back.

8 comments:

Emily said...

i will make you a lemon cake that is "low fat" not sugar free - i think you may like it :) Let's hang out soon!

Jessica said...

I make my baked goods with half Splenda/half sugar sometimes and then you can't tell the difference. That's what they should have done. Or just avoided the Splenda altogether. I'm sorry for your tragedy!!

Blythe said...

Um...who is this Emily person and what is this "low-fat" jibber jabber? And Jessica...shame on you! Half Splenda? Ick! The answer is always no Splenda, NO Splenda!

Court...to answer your question...you are NOT the only one who sees something wrong with this picture. I would also like to know WHO would do such a thing to perfectly good lemon cake. I'm wrinkling my nose in disgust as we speak.

Maybe I can come up there this weekend and we can hit up Starbucks for the real thing!

Kelly said...

I was tickled with delight throughout this whole post. Yes, tickled. I revel in your love for baked goods and rejection of faux lemony goodness.

Sam and James said...

If it's real food you are lusting after ... lust no longer! Bring Bylthe and we can cook up a strom with real ingredients. Although it may be the most expensive cake you ever make in your life, but you know it will be good.

Unknown said...

One exception: No Pudge brownies. You just throw low fat yogurt in and mix and voila! Chewy, rich brownies with less fat. But they still have sugar. And no, I don't work for them. ;)

Lorie said...

Come on, it's not that bad. Seriously, I think it tastes great. I just don't like the after taste, but I think it might be worth it when it means I'm eating a lot less calories! :)

Karina & John Calderwood said...

oh my goodness...I can't stop thinking about lemon cake...yum