Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Big 3-0

It’s official. I. Am. Old.

That’s right – on December 22, 2008, I turned 30. Thirty. Thurrrr-teeee. Wow, still seems weird. I mean, I entered an entirely different decade, people. I thought that it would be a difficult day – you know, that I would feel all depressed and melodramatic, and suddenly start spouting “well, when I was a kid…” stories. However, 30 doesn’t really feel any different. In fact, it’s pretty great so far!! 

OR_Pictures_053
After all, they say that you are only as old as you act. And, if that’s the case, then I should be hitting puberty any day now.

Anyway, because my birthday is so close to Christmas, I was fortunate enough to be at home in San Diego with my family for the blessed occasion. We played and shopped all day, went out for a yummy celebratory dinner (sans the annoying singers, thank you very much!), and then opened presents. And, I got some pretty spectacular ones!

My awesome parents gave me something that I desperately needed – a vacuum cleaner. My old vacuum was literally on its last leg. I inherited it from my old roommate who just got married, who inherited it from her old roommate who got married 5 years ago…..needless to say, it is an antique, and was starting to emit a very foul burning odor whenever it was used. Anyway, my parents very generously bought me a Hoover Bagless Windtunnel Vacuum.
hoover-s3765-040-windtunnel-electronic-bagless-canister-vacuum-300x300[1] Did you catch the “bagless” part of the description – as in, I never have to buy or change vacuum bags EVER with this sly piece of machinery. And, that’s just one of its many useful amenities. Thanks Mum and Dad!!
 
My beautiful sister, Blythe, gave me a truly wonderful gift. A gift that, I believe, no self-respecting woman should be without. What is this amazing gift of which I speak? That’s right, you guessed it – she got me “Sex and the City – The Complete Series.”

sexandthecityseriesdvdset[1]
That’s right, all 6 seasons in one bright pink package (one of my favorite parts about this gift, by the way).

I know that there are plenty of you out there who would disagree with me, but I think that “Sex and the City” is one of the best television shows ever written. I love the characters, the dialogue, the cheeky humor. As a sassy single gal, I can soooo relate to many of the situations they address on the show (don’t worry, I don’t mean any of the ones involving sex, for heavens sake!) It is my personal opinion that any given situation in a woman’s life can relate back to a “Sex and the City” episode or moment (well, or a “Friends” episode, too) – so I find myself quoting the show all the time. “It looked like a sharpei!”
 
I have already watched all of the DVDs once, and will undoubtedly make it through them all again before too long. Thanks Blythe!!


Aren't I a lucky girl?

8 comments:

Emily said...

you are a lucky girl... any single woman late 20's early 30's needs sex in the city or in our case no sex in the city... as charlotte says, I've been dating since I was 15, where is he all ready! well written commentary about navigating the crazy world of single womanhood in the urban jungle.

A said...

Happy Birthday Courtney. Don't worry 30 is the new 18. Besides you're beautiful and have so much going for you. I'm jealous of your presents! And tell Chelsea Hi for me when you get to Alaska!!:)

Sam and James said...

Happy Birthday, so sorry I missed it. I was on a plane heading off to Melbourne, I will blame James. You can't be 30, I still remember your 18 th ... we need cake and candles.

PDXTingeys said...

The Sex in the City boxed set sounds awesome, that is the perfect gift! I can never get tired of watching those episodes, seriously who doesn't love those girls.

Matt & Brooke said...

Courtney I didn't know you joined the blog world...so here's a belated welcome!! and a very happy birthday wish...30 is soooo not old!

Jessica said...

Yeah, you are old. :) But I'm older!! Wah.

Karina & John Calderwood said...

Happy belated!!! You getting prettier every year. I am SO SO SO envious of your Hoover.

kim said...

happy belated 30th!!! so sorry i missed it. live it up, the 30's are the best and you wear it so well. congrats on the gifts. could not agree more w/the sex and the city being relatable....it really is and so quotable.