Tuesday, June 16, 2009

From the Mouths of Babes

This past weekend, my older sister, Shannon, her husband, and their four kids flew down to San Diego for a short visit before taking off on a family vacation cruise from Long Beach. Since they live in Seattle, I hardly ever get to see them, so I drove down to SD to get in some quality time with the nieces and nephews.

disneycruise243

Seeing as I don’t have any kids of my own (that I know of - there was that crazy Spring Break in Miami a few years back......), it always amazes me how quickly they seem to grow up. I mean, I don't want to sound like one of those old fuddy duddys that waxes nostalgic about it "seeming like only yesterday that you were born." But seriously, it was just yesterday that these kids were born. Three out of four of them were born when I was technically of marrying age, so the fact that they are now fast approaching legal dating age absolutely floors me!

I am also constantly enlightened by the conversations I have with these kids.

For example, meet one of my nieces, Elyse (11 years).

305

On the car ride home from the airport, she started telling me about this boy from church named Dane, whom she has a HUGE crush on. Dane is an older man – 12 years old – and he and Elyse are in the same Sunday School class together. However, it seems that Dane has absolutely no idea that Elyse even exists – as anything other than a buddy, of course. This is quite frustrating for little Elyse, as she would love it if Dane were her boyfriend.

'Scuse me? I'm sorry, but since when were my 11-year-old niece (whom I still mentally picture as a toddler) and I on the same playing field? Exactly when did she develop the ability to have romantical feelings, I ask you? So. Weird.

However, it's nice to know that boys can manage to frustrate and confuse you at almost any age, and that I am not alone in my plight.

And then there are my nephews, Justin (13 years) and Adam (also 11 years – he and Elyse are twins).

310_Edited

Saturday morning, I came downstairs to get myself some breakfast, only to find Justin doing the same thing. I greeted him, and then compulsorily asked, "So, how was your sleep?" He replied, "It was okay, except that I was woken up in the middle of the night by a clap of thunder." This puzzled me a little bit, as I had not been aware of any inclement weather overnight. Justin could sense my confusion, and went on to explain that what he had meant by that statement was that Adam had been farting in his sleep.

Ew.

But I had to laugh. When Adam came downstairs a few minutes later, I questioned him about the accusation, thinking that he would vehemently deny that any such thing ever occurred. But alas, he confessed to the entire gaseous incident. And what's more - he was proud of it.

It's nice to know that boys start honing these combustion skills at such a young age. I so have something to look forward to when I get married.

And then we have my sister's youngest, Ashley (6 years).

disneycruise025

Oh, Ashley. Let's just say that she is a little.....wily.

Okay, she's out of control. Hell on wheels. The girl looks like an angel, but truly is the devil in disguise.

But I love her anyway.

So, last week, a few days before the family left on their vacation, Ashley woke up in the middle of the night, bored. What did she do to appease this boredom, you may ask? Read a book? Play with her toys? Pull out the Crayola?

Oh, no.

Ashley pulled out the scissors – and went to town on her shoulder-length locks (Angela Sudweeks, if you are reading this, I totally thought of you). And apparently, Ashley must have thought that she would shortly be joining the armed forces, because in a few areas, she actually cut her hair down to her scalp.

As you can imagine, my sister was horrified. I, on the other hand, found this whole situation quite amusing, and would burst into fits of laughter every time Ashley would walk into the room.

My sister was not amused at my amusement.

Here are a few pictures to document this “tragedy.” Keep in mind, the pictures below were taken AFTER Ashley had gone to a hairdresser to have her hair touched up. So you can only imagine what the original hack job looked like.

Notice the fact that the hair on the right side of her head is longer than the hair on the left side of her head. :o)

296

297

298

So. Freaking. Hilarious. I know, I’m such a mean aunty.

Gotta love these kids, though.

9 comments:

Chris and Hilary said...

I know what you mean. I went to my niece's High School graduation last week! Now that felt weird. Especially because I remember going to see her at the hospital when she was born. It has been so long since I have seen Shannon's kids. So grown up!

Blythe said...

Oh my goodness, this post had me rolling with laughter! I've been anxiously waiting to see the pictures of Ashley's butchered hair, and they definitely didn't disappoint! She is such a naughty little devil.

Justin's "clap of thunder" comment had me snickering as well. BOYS. They're so gross.

Sam and James said...

I'm still laughing, yep and the kids have grown up. I'll join you in the grandma club! Remember when Justin was little and for Christmas he got some toy that made a noise and we told him it was broken ... well we hid the batteries. Don't think we could run that caper any more. Love the hair cut, it's cool for summer.

A said...

Oh my word. I feel like I can't complain anymore about Charli's sad hair incident! If only I could guarantee it was her last . . . I cannot believe how old those kids are! You were so sweet on my blog- I am glad you don't find it boring. I feel like whenever I do a post and not even 1 person can find anything to comment on, then surely it must be boring. But I will keep on just for you! Oh yes, and in answer to your inquiry, I am pregnant- thank you ver much to my loud mouthed friend! Jk, it really wasn't a secret, I'm just not the big announcement type. We are having a boy in October.

Jessica said...

So funny!! What a little imp she is!! :)

Karina & John Calderwood said...

hahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.My side hurts. haaaaaa!

Karina & John Calderwood said...

oh, and that whole "boy" thing? Everytime Kelsi farts John says "all right, give me 5!". The other day she let out a burp and burst into laughter. John and I really need to have a talk....

kim said...

court, you are hilarious! i hear you, i can't believe some of my nieces and nephews have reached a dateable age, it's just wrong! i loved your niece's "new do".

Roberts Family said...

I feel like my kids are getting old and therefore, I am too!! Crazy! That hair doo was pretty bad!