Monday, April 27, 2009

Idolicious

Adam Lambert.

From the start of this season's American Idol, I have not wanted to like this guy.

03_adam_lambert[1]

Sure, there was no denying he was a talented singer; but something about him just seemed to grate on my nerves.

Maybe it was his crazy hair or his Emo clothes. Or maybe it was the fact that he wore black eyeliner (which I still find a little odd). It may have even had something to do with his flair for the dramatic because of his musical theater background. I don't know.

Whatever it was, I went into this season with a bias against this guy, convinced that I was never going to like him. I didn't want to like him.

Well.....I guess we can't always get what we want, because I have now done a complete 180, and am officially front-and-center on the Adam Lambert bandwagon. This guy has to be one of the most amazing, unique, and innovative people to ever hit the American Idol stage. He sings with such passion and emotion. Each week of competition, just when I think he can't possibly get any better, he outdoes himself. Every single week (well, excepting country week – Johnny Cash had to have been rolling over in his grave after that performance). I watch in awe, completely dumbfounded, and all I can say is “wow.”

Even Simon Cowell, who can usually barely manage to even crack a smile most weeks, gave Adam a standing ovation a couple weeks back, something that he had never done for any contestant before – ever.

I truly believe that this guy deserves to win. I guess that means I had better start actually voting, lest there be another Chris Daughtry incident.

And while we’re on the subject of Idol……..

So, there is this huge billboard down the street from my apartment, located at the intersection of Pico and Overland. This billboard also happens to be a couple of blocks away from the Fox Studios Lot as well. Every year, when the Final 12 (or 13, this year) contestants have been chosen for American Idol, their pictures are put up on this billboard, with the caption “Who will you choose?” below them. Then, as each contestant is voted off, a big “X” is put over their face, until only one contestant remains. This contestant then gets a whole new billboard, with just their face on it, with the caption “Winner.”

Billboard_Pic_Edited 

I drive by this billboard every day on my way to work, and having lived in LA for a little over 5 years now, I have been witness to 5 cycles of these American Idol billboards. This may sound a little crazy, but I find a strange sort of comfort in watching this billboard's evolution. It's like, you know how some people measure their life passing by seasons or holidays or birthdays; well it seems that I like to measure my life passing by the weekly changes of an American Idol billboard. I love to stare up at the contestants' faces as I zoom by each day, smiling at my favorites and scoffing at the Sanjayas that have somehow managed to amazingly remain. I even find myself getting a little excited each Thursday morning as I see the little man climbing the ladder up to the billboard to paste the "X" over the face of the latest contestant to be voted off.

I know, I'm odd.

But it’s something I’ve come to accept.

8 comments:

Blythe said...

AMEN about Adam! He rocks my world.

And yes, you're odd. I admire you for coming to terms with it.

I actually have a sneaking suspicion that I might be odd as well.

Sam and James said...

I must be getting old, have never watched Idol both here or in America, so I'll take your word for it.

PDXTingeys said...

Adam is so talented, I anticipate his performance each week.

This is my first year without the billboard and I didn't realize how much I would miss it.

Jessica said...

Yeah, Adam is not for me. Granted, I believe he will win, and it's not like I'm doing anything to stop it (I only voted one night, for Megan Corkery, before she went insane and started "caw"-ing) but I like Danny Gokey. And it has nothing to do with his voice. I like him because his wife died. I think that's a good enough reason for him to win. :) Dave thinks that makes me nuts. :)

Jessica said...

PS- Top of my list for when I'm in LA: dinner with you at El Torito Grill!! :)

Emily said...

i have also blogged about Adam... tracks of my tears was AMAZING then If i can't have you... seriously? I have only voted once for Kris Allen though on Disco night and she work's hard for the money - that was an awesome rendition of that song and not karaoke...

Karina & John Calderwood said...

That is SO funny because you took the words right out of my mouth. I fought and fought the urge to like him...now I am in just complete awe!

Missi Waldron said...

Don't you think that Adam would put on the most AMAZING concert/show? He is quite incredible. I should probably start voting as well. I also want the job of x-ing out the faces on the billboard... it seems a little dangerous and therapeudic all at the same time.